Bible verses about marriage are essential if you are considering having a Christian wedding. You can use them to write your own Christian wedding vows or as words of advice. They can be read by your officiating minister, family members, or a member of your bridal train.
If you do choose to write your own wedding vows, you can incorporate some of these quotes from the Bible into them as well. Now, not every verse in the Bible that speaks about marriage is necessarily one that can be used for weddings. The marriage quotes from the Bible listed below are ones that can be used for advice, a sermon or vows.
The Bible verses about marriage listed below are in today's English. They are easier to understand but of course if it is your preference to use the old King James versions which do sometimes tend to sound somewhat more poetic, then you are certainly free to do so.
Bible Verses About Marriage for Weddings - Old Testament
- …but still there was no companion suitable for him. So the Lord God caused Adam to fall into a deep sleep. he took one of Adam's ribs and closed up the place from which he had taken it. The the Lord God made a woman from the rib and brought her to Adam "At last!" Adam exclaimed. "She is part of my own flesh and bone! She will be called "woman" because she was taken out of a man." This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. Now although Adam and his wife were both naked, neither of them felt any shame. - Genesis 2:20-25
- Your wife will be like a fruitful grapevine, flourishing within your home. Your children will be like vigorous young olive trees as they sit around your table. - Psalm 128:3
- Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth. - Proverbs 5:18
- A worthy wife is her husband's joy and crown; a shameful wife saps his strength. - Proverbs 12:4
- The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the Lord. - Proverbs 18:22
- …a quarrelsome wife is as annoying as constant dripping. Fathers can give their sons an inheritance of houses and wealth, but only the Lord can give an understanding wife. - Proverbs 19:13-14
- Live happily with the woman you love through all the meaningless days of life that God has given you under the sun. The wife God gives you is your reward for all your earthly toil. - Ecclesiastes 9:9
Bible Verses About Marriage for Weddings - New Testament
- But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman should have her own husband. The husband should fulfill his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband’s needs. The wife gives authority over her body to her husband, and the husband gives authority over his body to his wife. Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control. - 1 Corinthians 7:2-5
- For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husbands in everything. For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her… - Ephesians 5:22-25
- So again I say, each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. - Ephesians 5:33
- Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting for those who belong to the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and never treat them harshly. - Colossians 3:18-19
- Give honor to marriage, and remain faithful to one another in marriage. God will surely judge people who are immoral and those who commit adultery. - Hebrews 13:4
- In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives. - 1 Peter 3:1-2
- This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands. - 1 Peter 3:5
- In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered. - 1 Peter 3:7